The house is decorated and the presents are wrapped. And while there are plenty of gifts under the tree for your family and friends, the largest package is for your cat. Ever since you had a scare about your cat’s health two months ago you have been going a little bit overboard when it comes to finding your feline friend lots of suitable gifts.
For many Americans, dog and cat health is an important consideration. From investigating the pet insurance process to understanding the necessities of senior dog care and cat care, many people are as attached to their pets as much as their children. With this in mind it should come as no surprise that animal care is taken very seriously. And while walking your dog and playing with your cat are important parts of pet ownership, it is also essential to make sure that you are aware of the available insurance options.
Although few families ignore the importance of health insurance for their family members, not everyone thinks to look at the options for pet wellness plans. And while many pet owners make their dog and cat health a priority, not all take the time to see if pet insurance plans may be an option. Protecting your animal’s health should be a priority, but it is also important to make sure that you understand the options for making that health care a more affordable option.
Consider some of these facts and figures about pet owners and the effect that they have on the nation’s economy:
- 46.3 million U.S. households have a dog. This means that 37% to 47% of all households in the U.S. have a dog.
- The U.S. has more felines than any other country, with about 76.43 million cats.
- Cats sleep for about 16 hours on average.
- Americans spend $20.46 billion on pet food each year.
- Americans spend $12.56 billion on pet supplies and over-the-counter medicine each year.
- Americans spend $13.59 billion on vet care each year.
From protecting your outside dogs in the summer months and during the coldest days of winter are important tasks, but there are many other important considerations that many home owners make.